Douglas County & Centennial Child Support Lawyer
Child support issues can arise during divorce or when unmarried parents of a child separate. Child support is established using the same formula as parents going through a divorce. Whether establishing a child support order or enforcing a current child support order, Robbins Law Firm can help.
At Robbins Law Firm LLC, our Douglas County & Centennial family law attorney is experienced at advocating parents\’ interests in child support disputes. Known for providing effective legal advocacy, our lawyers will work diligently to help you establish or enforce a current child support..
How Child Support is Determined in Colorado
In Colorado, a complicated formula is used to calculate child support obligations. Some of the factors used to calculate child support include:
- The number of children of the parents
- The income of each parent, including any bonuses, commissions or government benefits (like workers’ compensation) received – Child support received for children from other relationships, however, will not be counted towards a parent’s income.
- Whether either parent is paying or receiving spousal support
- Whether either parent is already paying child support for a child from a previous relationship
- Additional expenses either parent may have – These can include (but not limited to) child care costs, health insurance for a child, tuition, and care for special needs children.
It is important to note that:
- Special considerations may be considered when parents have very low or very high incomes.
- Child support obligations typically end when a child turns 19.
Child Support in Colorado: More Important Information
- Enforcement of child support orders – When child support is awarded, this award is a court order. If the parent who has been ordered to pay child support fails to make the court ordered child support payments, to this obligation, (s)he will be violating a court order and can face various consequences for this violation. Parents who are not receiving the child support they have been awarded by the court can return to court to proceed with enforcement actions.
- Modifications of child support – Court orders regarding child support payments can be modified. If the parenting plan changes, a modification of child support may be necessary; however, there must be an increase or decrease of at least 10% before a modification of child support is allowed.
Contact a Douglas County & Centennial Family Law Attorney at Robbins Law Firm LLC
For experienced, effective representation in a child support dispute, contact a Douglas County & Centennial family law attorney at Robbins Law Firm LLC.
At Robbins Law Firm LLC, our clients come first. This means that each of our clients can rely on us for personalized, responsive legal services, as well as vigorous legal advocacy and the best possible outcomes to their important family legal issues.
Find out more about your best options for resolving your child support issues by meeting with our lawyer for an initial consultation. Schedule this meeting by calling 720.617.2623 or by emailing us via the contact form on this page. Weekend and evening appointments are available upon request.
From our office based in Centennial, our attorney provides the highest quality family law services to clients in Centennial, Aurora, Castle Rock, Elizabeth, Centennial, Douglas County, Arapahoe County, Elbert County, Jefferson County and throughout the state of Colorado.